Monday 24 September 2012

15 Shades of Black





I've been sorting out my art materials and I realised how many different pens, paints, pencils I have.  I use some all the time and others not so much, so I decided to have a 'play' and compare the different shades and texture of just one colour..Black!
I need to get a decent fixative for pastel and charcoal work, I think that is the main reason why I don't use those very much. My favourites remain coloured pencil and watercolour with ink skidding into third place.

9 comments:

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Thats a neat idea (lord knows what I have collected with the years)... I like how you can see how different they all are not only in texture but in the shade it self. Like the two ivory black colour pencils next to each other, so very different (one is warmer than the other).

Unknown said...

That Derwent watercolour pencil is very nice. Ooh, and I forgot water soluble graphite even existed - I really should try that. You know, I think I like them all!
Stew.
stewcrowther.wordpress.com
_________________________

Unknown said...

Next up 50 shades of grey?

Beth said...

Clever and fun to see

Laura said...

These little play-times teach us so much about our materials. I should do more myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

aah it's just like cleaning out a kitchen pantry and discovering about 4 bottles of cumin all half used. I do like the maimeri pastel.

nanke's stuff said...

What a great idea! It's so interesting to see how different they all are. nancy

Stefano said...

this is a serious study.
thanks for sharing!

Coreopsis said...

Very interesting. I should run a similar experiment here.