Sunday 22 January 2012

The Pink Lighthouse



watercolour

Well it's not really pink, it just reflects light as the sun goes down!
This is a little postcard sized painting that I did for a swap.  My blogging friend Anne  in Scotland organised a 'postcard' swap and people from all over the world took part.  You could make a postcard in anyway you liked so I painted this postcard using sketches and photos I made on location. The light house is somewhere I often go  and the making sketches imprints many things on your mind like the light and atmosphere.

My swap partner was Anne herself and she sent me a beautiful postcard that she made by needle felting.


Anne is very talented with textiles, she makes beautiful quilts and can knit so many different things.
Have a look at her blog  Frayed at the Edge 


10 comments:

Shirley said...

Love how you painted the surface of the lighthouse. Did you do it wet-in-wet?

Cathy Holtom said...

Thank you Shirley, I glazed most of the colours.

Melliott said...

What is needle felting?

Cathy Holtom said...

Melissa - I'm not an expert but I gather it's a process of fusing wool fibers together with a special needle, sculpting small objects or flat pictures.

jill said...

I love your lighthouse and thanks for showing us another blog, love the picture and what a lovely thing to do swapping things

Unknown said...

It's a very sweet pink lighthouse.

Lucia B. said...

I love the tender colours of this lighthouse, it's a kind of subject that sometimes may appear a little melanchonic but in this case it gives me a sense of joy!

Minerva said...

What a joyful lighthouse! It makes me wish I was near the Mediterranean Sea, especially when I look at my backyard covered in slush... Thank you for sopping by and comment.

Gillian Mowbray said...

Now I think all lighthouses should be pink - what a lovely postcard to swap! x

Cathy Holtom said...

Gillian - If only we could paint boring concrete the colours we like, what a beautiful place the world would be!