Friday 26 July 2013

Terracotta pots in the Sun




Mixed media 16x18cms





I started off doing a larger painting complete with flowers but halfway through I realised that it was the plant pots that really interested me and the way the terracotta glowed in the sun.  
I bought some lovely Canson watercolour paper from the local art shop and it seems to take the coloured pencil well too, which is good as I have been looking for something that could take a really wet watercolour or acrylic wash but was smooth enough for pencil. So this is amixture of watercolour and coloured pencil. 






13 comments:

Polly Birchall said...

These terracotta pots are so lovely, and the light is quite striking. btw got a moleskine book to try.

Melliott said...

Really beautiful. The small detail I particularly like is how you varied the line of background between/behind the pots. It feels so organic. And the shading is wonderful.

Beth said...

I like the way the light just hits the tips of the leaves in front.

Timaree said...

Your picture shows why the pots caught your attention! Very pretty.

AtelierBrigitte said...

Lovely!
Great use of the darker spots and ligth.

Laura said...

Interesting mix of mediums. Love the glow of the pots and the light. I can see why you were taken with them.

Vicki Holdwick said...

Really like the play of light here. Makes me want to try watercolor again,

xoxo

Lynn said...

This is so beautiful. I wish I could draw and paint as well as you do.

Cathy Holtom said...

Thank you Lynn:) and thank you all for the comments!

Alex said...

This just look so stunningly unreal! :) Love it

Unknown said...

Wonderful painting on the terracotta pots and the background!

Unknown said...

I really love the colors and lines in this one... it just smiles at me!

Vicki Holdwick said...

This is lovely, Cathy.

Thank you for your comment of welcome for my return to the blogosphere. My new year's resolution is to do some kind of art every day. I won't necessarily post them all, but so far I am on track.

Lovely to "see" you again.

xoxo