Thursday 5 June 2014

Soft light and terracotta pots



20x27 cms coloured pencil


I have a thing about terracotta and the way the warm Sicilian sun throws delicate shadows and pools of colour.  This group of plant pots and young grape vines was no exception as the afternoon light filtered through the tender leaves.

I started this coloured pencil piece at the beginning of the year, as much as I love coloured pencil I find that I don't have the patience that I had before or perhaps it's just that I don't have the same time available for art that I used to have. This means I have had to make choices and decide where I will concentrate my time.  It won't be the last of coloured pencil just a break!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh, those clay colors and shadow colors are so so beautiful!!! I love this piece Cathy! Wow!

Shirley said...

I have always loved your terracotta pot paintings - the colors you achieve are extraordinary!

Jane said...

Wonderful sense of warmth and light and shade. A picture to keep coming back to.

Unknown said...

It's a beautiful piece, I certainly hope you do return to coloured pencils.

Melliott said...

This is a really masterful use of colored pencil, Cathy. So soft, beautifully blended, and the light is perfect.