Friday 3 April 2015

Black Coffee



oil on mdf board 20x20cms

Following my look at black at the beginning of the year I decided to try painting with black, that is to say mixed blacks and darks.  I searched for a good 'black' subject and found these little coffee cups.  I think they are Italian looking at the size although I bought them at a car boot sale in the UK quite a few years ago.

I used a limited palette of ultramarine blue, van dyke brown,  yellow ochre and white and I've included a few of the steps as I went along (when I remembered to take a photo).

I enjoyed painting this and I didn't think I would....just goes to show!



5 comments:

Judy said...

Really beautiful, Cathy! An interesting palette that made so many gorgeous darks!

Laura said...

I find this stunning Cathy. Beatiful with its minimalist approach with subject and colour but also dramatic with its tonal contrasts.

Sue Clinker said...

Very effective Cathy. Just goes to show we should all get outside our 'comfort zone' once in a while

Unknown said...

Love your oil paintings, Cathy ! Beautiful darks and blacks, indeed. And i love your "touch", the way you put the paint onto the panel ... Thanks for sharing.

Cathy Holtom said...

Thank you for the lovely comments!